Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Chocolate Wars by Robert Cormier

The Chocolate War
Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author,The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

I had to read this for school and I was surprised at how good it was. I was also surprised that in my strict Catholic school, they'd allow a book like this where it's shown masturbation and similar topics.

I liked the concept of the book and although it was a bit slow at first, I enjoyed it. The only thing that I'd say negative is that I felt like I didn't know the characters. None of them really grew by the end of the book and they all felt a bit distant.

The book is a bit dated but there's nothing really to give it away.

In one sentence:
"Better than you would ever think."

Plot: 4
Characters: 3
Writing: 5
Cover: 3
Overall Feeling: 4
Average: 3.8 stars

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I've heard of this book before but never really knew what it was about. I don't think it might be for me but I'm glad you found it interesting. Great review :)

Katie said...

You have won an award on my site It's Time to Read. The award is: - the Versatile Blogger :) Do come and get it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails