Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Undercover by Beth Kephart


Undercover

Like a modern-day Cyrano de Bergerac, Elisa ghostwrites love notes for the boys in her school. But when Elisa falls for Theo Moses, things change fast. Theo asks for verses to court the lovely Lila—a girl known for her beauty, her popularity, and a cutting ability to remind Elisa that she has none of these. At home, Elisa's father, the one person she feels understands her, has left on an extended business trip. As the days grow shorter, Elisa worries that the increasingly urgent letters she sends her father won't bring him home. Like the undercover agent she feels she has become, Elisa retreats to a pond in the woods, where her talent for ice-skating gives her the confidence to come out from under cover and take center stage. But when Lila becomes jealous of Theo's friendship with Elisa, her revenge nearly destroys Elisa's ice-skating dreams and her plan to reunite her family.

I think Undercover is my favorite Beth Kephart book. I'm just a softie for romance and poems.

Again, Beth Kephart excels with beautiful writing and a real story. I loved how unique the plot was. I mean, ghost writer for love notes? That's freaking awesome. I loved how we can see how Elisa changed through the book. She became a very strong and brave character in the end.

I loved Theo! He was cute and a good friend. I was a bit heartbroken at some point but then near the end, Theo got redeemed for me.

There's nothing much to say. The book is good and a fast read, slightly un-put-downable and very chaste. Very nice book for younger readers.

In one sentence:
"Charming and quick, Undercover is flamboyant."

Plot: 4
Characters: 5
Writing: 5
Cover: 4
Overall Feeling: 4
Average: 4.4


1 comment:

Gina said...

Definitely agree on the original story line...I haven't come across it either. As for the author, I've read one of her titles (HOUSE OF DANCE) and have another in the stacks for reading next month...but I've heard wonderful things so far...can't wait. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails