Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Vampire Diaires (The Awakening) by L.J. Smith

Vampire Diaries (The Awakening)
Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

Stefan: brooding and mysterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.

Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he'd kill to possess her.

Collected here in one volume for the first time, volumes one and two of The Vampire Diaries, the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them


At First Sight:
This wouldn't have happened if I hadn't seen the show, to be honest. But ever since I started watching it, I was intrigued to know more. So I've been wanting to get this one for a while and finally, I read the first book.

My Thoughts:
So I went into this both knowing that I had a pre-formed idea of the show and that it was very different from the show. Of course, I tried to separate myself from the show as much as possible because I didn't want my feelings for the show to influence my feelings for the literature itself.

Thankfully, the most resemblance to the book that the show has is the first episode, and not even that.

Elena at first is not very likable. She's the queen-bee-gotta-have-it-all girl that not many people like. But then you begin to enter into this character and you discover somethings that make her more...human and likable.

And then there's Stefan, dark and brooding. He's a gentleman in all senses possible and he truly does love Elena and Elena, inexplicably, loves him.

My favorite character (in the book) so far is Matt. Matt is the boy next door who is really nice and sweet. We kind of start feeling a bit sorry for him and although some may argue that he's not right for Elena, he really cares and loves her enough to respect the fact that they don't belong together anymore.

And of course, I LOVE DAMON! We really don't 'get to know him' in this first installment but I was trying to pick up some clues for the future and although I spoiled have to book to myself, I really hope that, in the end, she ends up with Damon.

I just love guys who are so messed up, what's wrong with me? Psychopath with no redeemable qualities? MY GUY!

Oh, and then I have to talk about the plot, naturally. Well, let me tell you, it's a pretty quick-paced book. I read it in about two days and I found it was pretty fun to read so I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. It has enough mystery to keep everyone intrigued for a long time.

In one sentence:
"DAMON! But that doesn't really count, right? I mean he doesn't 'appear' that much in this book." (That was more than one sentence, sorry!)

Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing: 5
Cover: 5
Overall Feeling: 5
Average: 5

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails