Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Rules of Attraction

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

I borrowed this book.

At first sight: I was SO EXCITED! Because PERFECT CHEMISTRY was amazing and you know, great.

My thoughts:
It is hard to think that Simone Elkeles would surpass the greatness she was able to achieve with PERFECT CHEMISTRY, but she surprised me! Not only do I think that RULES OF ATTRACTION is better than PERFECT CHEMISTRY, but I also think it's one of the best YA books ever written. Here's why.

Both Kara and Carlos have struggles. They're not perfect and actually, they have stuff about them that would seem unattractive. But the way that, not only do they help each other, but are able to see past it, makes a convincing and exiting story.

Very much like Alex, Carlos is stubborn and a trouble maker, but we're able to see a much bigger range of emotions from him by the way he plays with Kara's little brother or the way he handles different situations.

Kara is surprisingly a strong young woman that I admired. She approaches everything with enthusiasm, without really caring what people think, and with an awkward but believalbe confidence.

May I say that I found Kara's and Carlos's relationship even hotter than Alex's and Brittany?

The supporting characters are equally 3-dimensional and interesting. I think this book has a stronger cast, too.

Overall, the book was amazing, believable and engaging. I devoured it in just two days.

In One Sentence:
"Sexy, deep, and hilarious all at once."

Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing: 5
Cover: 5
Overall Feeling: 5
Average: 5

1 comment:

♫♥✿Chas @ LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ said...

Yes Yes Yes YEs!!=)

I agree. This one is my favorite and YEs better then PC and PC is awesome so that says a lot.

I did find it hotter and I loved the characters more.... Esp Kiara. I love that she can fix cars and I love that she is so simple and easy going!

Amazing!!

Okay... this review makes me want to go back and reread RoA. I can not wait for Chain Reaction to hit the shelves and the cover is sweeeet!!!!=)

Here is my review:
http://lll808.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-rules-of-attraction-by-simone.html

But I like yours better!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails