Wednesday, November 10, 2010

1984 by George Orwell: A Look Into A Classic

1984

Portrays a terrifying vision of life in the future when a totalitarian government, considered a "Negative Utopia," watches over all citizens and directs all activities, becoming more powerful as time goes by.

This won't be a regular review, more like my general thoughts and why you should read it (wait, isn't that a review, anyways?).

The best I can say about 1984 is that it's thought provoking and it doesn't have a happy ending. I mean, why should it? The story starts, develops, and ends in a totalitarian government that controls everything. There's no real hope for the main character, we all know he's doom.

Yet we can't help but root for him. Maybe because we ourselves may find and understand the deep message that this book wants to bring. George Orwell's distinctive and controversial style is not lost. He wants us to know that we need to take action, but even when we do, we might lose, which is a risk we must be willing to take.

It's amazing how we see the plot in real life. If you're a very aware person and know about world-issues you might find yourself comparing this book to many real life government situations.

I love political books like this and so, while it is boring in most parts, I think it's a must read because it's eye-opening and thought-provoking.

I will not give a rating to this book but I hope that my little review/blurb/commentary will help you and convince you to read this book.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I enjoy classics, and I want to read this one, but I am not sure if I am ready for it yet. Great review :)

Holly Schindler said...

I've given you an award: http://hollyschindler.blogspot.com/2010/11/versatile-blogger-award.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails