Friday, August 20, 2010

Trickster's Girl by Hilari Bell

Trickster's Girl

In the year 2098 America isn't so different from the USA of today. But, in a post-9/11 security-obssessed world, "secured" doesn't just refer to borders between countries, it also refer to borders between states. Teenagers still think they know everything, but there is no cure for cancer, as Kelsa knows first-hand from watching her father die.

The night Kelsa buries her father, a boy appears. He claims magic is responsible for the health of Earth, but human damage disrupts its flow. The planet is dying.

Kelsa has the power to reverse the damage, but first she must accept that magic exists and see beyond her own pain in order to heal the planet. 

I was afraid that this book was going to be very preachy and although not overly so, it still contained to much preaching for me.

I guess the book itself is good. There's a roadtrip involved that certainly brings much fun and Raven is a likable character and sometimes even cute. But somehow, this book didn't really stick with me.

Kelsa is really just a character. She was an okay narrator and there were moments where I conected with her and others where she seemd just too distant.  She really doesn't stand out from other characters in the way I would have liked.

Also, I know this is supposed to be novel set in the future but I didn't get that feeling AT ALL. It just seemed like 2010 and I REALLY love future-set novels.

A bit further on the preaching, what bothered me is that I usually don't mind books that implant the idea or show to problems and let the reader figure out the solutions. But this book told you straight out that we were killing our planet. Now, I know that but a book that really effectively sends a message is supposed to give your reasons and impact. That's why I like the implementing (AHH INCEPTION !!!) idea more because it makes the reader figure it out, therefore spending more time afterwards thinking about the book.

I also expected romance but there wasn't any, really.  It disappointed me.

In one sentence:
"Enjoyable but moderate, a library read."

Plot: 4
Characters: 3
Writing: 4
Cover: 4
Overall Feeling: 3
Average: 3.6/5 stars

2 comments:

Gina said...

Oh goodness...sounds like this one didn't really sit well with you at all. Cie la vie....move on to the next one. ^_^ Thanks for sharing the ins and outs as you saw them and many wishes for happy reading on your next book choice.

Lale said...

I felt the same way about the lack of romance- it was such a let down! I did feel that it was less preachy than, for example, the Maximum Ride series. And I also loved Inception. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails