Saturday, April 16, 2011

Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Playing Hurt

Star basketball player Chelsea "Nitro" Keyes had the promise of a full ride to college—and everyone's admiration back home. Then she took a horrible fall during senior year. Now a metal plate holds her together and she feels like a stranger in her own family.

That summer, Chelsea's dad hires Clint, a nineteen-year-old ex-hockey player and "boot camp" trainer, to work with her at a northern Minnesota lake resort. As they grow close, Chelsea finds that Clint's haunted by his own tragedy. Will their romance end up hurting them all over again—or finally heal their heartbreak?

At First Sight:
I've been following Holly Schindler for a little more than a year and through that journey I've come to fall in love with her writing and her characters. When I saw that she was publishing a new novel, I immediately jumped into the opportunity to read and review it. Not only was the cover beautiful, but the story seemed to ring with me the way good books ring true to your heart.

My Thoughts:
I've never been a real sports-story sort of fan and I was a bit worried that Playing Hurt wouln't be as great as A Blue So Dark. But when I started reading the story (I had about 3 other books I was reading), I just couldn't. put. it. down.

I feel so guilty for having initially felt that way but now I feel even more reassured that whatever comes out of of Schindler's pen (or laptop, computer, etc.) is going to be a true literary work of art.

Chelsea was really--impressive. She seemed intimidating with all her star-ness and athletic ability but the deeper we got into the story, the more it seemed that Chelsea used her sports as a way to make her feel whole. I related to her (we have similar personalities) and I admired the passion she had for basketball (like the passion I have for writing) and, no matter what subject she was passionate about, the feeling transmitted so easily and flawlessly that I will officially say that Holly Schindler is not only a great story-teller, but she's a writer who is able to capture the feelings, personalities, and struggles of her characters fantastically well.

I loved Clint to death. And I thought that the names (Chelsea & Clint) were so cute together! He has times where he's funny, other times when he's confused, and other times when he's just being a boy. I loved the fact that Schindler was able to capture a male POV as well as she captured the female's.

Overall, this book was amazing and, if it hadn't done so before, it has placed Schindler among the top authors that I love. Plus, the romance is AMAZING and full of passion.

In one sentence:
A fantastic sophomore novel that WILL NOT dissappoint.

Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing: 5
Cover: 5
Overall: 5
Average: 5


1 comment:

Cindy said...

This sounds so good and I can't wait to read it! Great review :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails