Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball by Risa Green

The Secret Society of The Pink Crystal Ball

Smart and sexy-"smexy," as termed in the novel-Risa Green's fabulously original, warm, and funny teen debut follows a trio of best friends as they navigate love, lies, school, and family-with some unlikely supernatural help. Erin inherits a plastic crystal ball and a set of cryptic instructions from her free-spirited aunt. Erin and her two best friends laughingly give it a try and discover that this particular crystal ball has an uncanny knack for being accurate-but as with all magic, it comes with limits and a price.

Risa Green brings to vivid life friendships and romance-with the perfect supernatural twist.
Praise for Notes from the Underbelly:
"...uproariously tart..." -Entertainment Weekly
"Debut fiction that's a cut above the usual chick-lit fare."-Kirkus

Sent by the publisher.

At First Sight:
The cover is simply amazing. Also, even though the title is a mouthful, it's really catchy. The little premise caught my attention but I honestly didn't think too much about the book. I thought it was going to be simply okay. Boy was I wrong.

My thoughts:
SOTPCB (as I'm going to call it now) is fun, unique, and definitely MORE than okay.

Erin is a unique yet normal character. Her two best friends provide the best balance and really, they're a terrific trio. The characters were all amazingly real and relatable. I could definitely see myself in any of them. This, like you should know by now, it's the most important thing for me when reading a book. I'm looking for myself in these characters, it's what makes YA YA.

Erin's aunt is quirky and not the normal person. I like how her death is pretty ambiguous and nobody really knows what happened to her. Erin's struggle to come to term with herself and the death of a family member is real and resonates with the reader.

I was afraid that it would be too fluffy and to "tween" but I'm glad that it did't turn out that way at all! It's a cute story that could be set in any high school. This book has humour and great writing.

In one sentence:
"Cute and entertaining!"

Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing: 5
Cover: 5
Overall Feeling: 5
Average: 5


1 comment:

Gina said...

Oh yes...definitely a plus when you can find bits of yourself in the characters....makes the story THAT much better. Glad you enjoyed it! Certainly agree...the cover is so cute. Happy reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails