Saturday, January 2, 2010

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Deadly Little Secret


"Some secrets shouldn't be kept...
Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.
Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.
From the best-selling author of Blue is for Nightmares comes a story of paranormal romance that's sure to be a thrilling and chilling teen favorite."  from GoodReads.

I have been wanting to read this book for a while now so it was my first choice when I got to spend my Christmas Border's gift card. My first impression was that it would be very different from Blue Is For Nightmares, the only other book that I have read from Laurie F. Stolarz. It was a short book, therefore a quick read, I knew I was going to devour it in hours.

And that's how it was. I sat with the book and almost didn't let it down for anything. I loved how the chapters alternate between Camelia and her secret (admirer? stalker?) person. You could really tell that the person was psycho by the way he wrote things and it intensified the scary factor in this book.

In some ways it was like Blue Is For Nightmares since it has this very interesting - and deadly - enigma but it was so much better, too. The story seemed more real and raw to me. The MC was multi-dimensional and therefore didn't seem flat at any moment. Ben is intriguing and I couldn't help but wonder a few times if he was the psycho guy. The supporting characters are as equally mesmerizing. There was a point in the novel where I didn't even know who was who. Everyone seemed like a suspect.

In one sentence:
A scary good read!

5/5 Stars

4 comments:

Kari Olson said...

This is sitting on my to be read shelf. I am definitely getting more tempted to push it to the top though! Great review.

Unknown said...

I just picked this up at the bookstore a couple of days ago. I can't wait to be able to start reading it. Thanks for the great review.

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

I adore Laurie Faria Stolarz... I love love love the Touch series as well as the Blue is For Nightmare series!!! I read all of them!! The newest one: Black is for Beginnings was interesting because it was a Graphic novel.... not too much my thing but I love it!!=)

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

oh.... she has some other stories as well... anyone read those?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails